The Release Notes provide information about the modifications of HiCrypt™ according to the version number where the changes have been made. These modifications are sorted by version number and are categorized topically. Next to new features and resolved problems also modifications to existing function are described affecting the application.
Version 2.4.4 (released: August 30th 2021)
- Support for persistently mapped network drives has been restored.
- Floating version only:
The CodeMeter Runtime from WIBU SYSTEMS is no longer included in the HiCrypt installation package. HiCrypt requires the CodeMeter Runtime. Therefore it has to be installed before the installation of HiCrypt. Additional information can be found in the download archive of the floating version.
Version 2.4.3 (released: April 12th 2021)
- A problem was solved related to file uploads in browsers.
- A problem was solved related to changing passwords.
Version 2.4.2 (released: March 5th 2021)
- Another problem was solved with non-standard support for encryption algorithms.
Version 2.4.1 (released: March 3rd 2021)
- A problem was solved with non-standard support for encryption algorithms.
Version 2.4.0 (released: January 29th 2021)
- A newly developed filter driver has been integrated.
- A problem was solved with licenses which became invalid because of wrongly reported hardware changes.
- A problem was solved with temporarily disconnected network drives.
Version 2.3.0 (released: September 18th 2020)
- A problem while using shared worksheets with Microsoft Excel was solved.
- A problem in combination with HP Sure Click can now be solved by using a parameter.
- Checking for Online Updates was improved.
- HiCrypt does not longer use the file hicrypt.af for getting information about users who are logged in to HiCrypt-encrypted network drives. For this a warning will be displayed during the decryption process.
- If a PIN has never been used for securing stored credentials yet, changing the PIN will no longer require entering the old PIN.
Version 2.2.10 (released: September 24th 2019)
- The unnecessary opening of the surface during a short interruption of communication has been eliminated.
- The license request is updated under the respective user name (floating only).
Version 2.2.7 (released: June 13th 2018)
- Windows 10 is now supported with active Secure Boot.
- Token support when using Class 2 readers has been improved.
- An automatic check of whether a new version is available has been implemented (turned off in the floating version).
Version 2.2.6 (released: April 25th 2018)
- An issue with evaluating the authentication policy for shares with the four eyes principle, which made the seletion of token data impossible, has been resolved.
- An issue that caused an invalid authentication policy when using the recovery key or when upgrading CGS shares has been resolved.
- An issue with opening STP files related to certain CAD installations on Windows 7 has been resolved.
The behavior when opening locked files has been changed.
Version 2.2.5 (released: February 12th 2018)
- An issue with displaying the setup version has been fixed.
- Adjustments to the licensing of the floating version.
Version 2.2.4 (released: January 19th 2018)
- An issue with creating and renaming folders has been fixed.
Version 2.2.3 (released: January 17th 2018)
- A problem with an undocumented change to the caching behavior of the LanmanRedirector caused by the rollup update 2017-12 (and newer) has been fixed.
Version 2.2.2 (released: November 8th 2017)
- Stability of the Encrypting Wizard has been improved.
- Optimization of the license check.
- The runtime environment of the floating version has been updated.
Version 2.2.1 (released: October 26th 2017)
- New installations now use Token Engine 1.1 to communicate with security tokens.
- The DPI problem with Windows 7 has been fixed.
- An error using saved passwords in connection with the logon policy has been fixed.
Version 2.2.0 (released: March 6th 2017)
- Problem with SMB dialect (from 3.0.2) has been solved.
Version 2.1.3 (not released)
- The middleware sc/interface from cryptovision is now supported for using a token with HiCrypt™.
Version 2.1.2 (released: November 21st 2016)
A licensing problem has been fixed which has led to instability in the licensing on certain systems.
Version 2.1.1 (released: January 18th 2016)
Login to network drives
A login to a network drive which was encrypted using HiCrypt™ can now be forced with a Windows Registry setting. Thus the login dialog can not be canceled. Only a successful login with HiCrypt™ closes the dialog.
Usage of Token
There was a problem with files whos sizes were growing very fast because of logging some HiCrypt™ status information. These information will now be suppressed. So the files will no longer contain these status information.
Version 2.1.0 (released: November 23rd 2015)
HiCrypt™ will be deactivated during uninstallation. This also works with a Proxy server. But only licenses being not limited in time can be deactivated. The result of that deactivation will be displayed to the user at the end of the uninstallation process. Additionally an according entry in the Windows Eventlog will be created in the Application section.
A Deactivation Key will be generated if the automatic deactivation is not possible. Using this Deactivation Key the deactivation process can be completed at https://olm.digitronic.net/ or by sending it to email@example.com.
Version 2.0.6 (released: September 30th 2015)
There was a problem while accessing the activation server during online activation. This problem has been resolved.
A problem while changing a password and using a token at the same time has been resolved. Additionally the token “YubiKey NEO” and “YubiKey NEO-n” can now be used with HiCrypt™.
Prevent saving credentials
The setting for saving credentials to access a HiCrypt™-encrypted network drive will work again.
Stability issues using PeerLock have been resolved.
Version 2.0.4 (released: July 1st 2015)
Feature “Token support”
For logging in to HiCrypt™-encrypted network drives you can now use security token (smartcards and so on). This function requires the feature “Token support” which has to be ordered with costs. Using this feature the access to encrypted data can be combined with the requirement of a security token. Thus HiCrypt™ 2.0 provides an even higher security for your confidential data.
Using this feature is downwards compatible. Network drives, which have been encrypted using an older version of HiCrypt™ can be upgrade in a few steps.
HiCrypt™ 2.0 now supports the use of security policies – more exactly password policies and login policies. Thus password policies known from the operating system just like the periodically change of passwords or the complexity requirements for new passwords can be applied. At the same time logging in to a HiCrypt™-encrypted network drive can be defined to enforce using a security token. Required for this function is the feature “Token support” which has to be ordered with costs.
So far user of HiCrypt™ can log in to HiCrypt™-encrypted network drives using stored credentials. These credentials can already be secured using a PIN (the HiCrypt™ PIN). Now the security will increased again. If the PIN is entered once it is only valid for 30 seconds. After this time the PIN has to be entered again if required.
support of Windows 8.1
Using Windows 8.1 there was a problem when shutting down the computer while using encrypted network drives being connected to DFS shares. Additionally there was a problem with the used version of the network protocol (SMB). All these problems have be solved.
Online activation via proxy server
Problems during online activation using a proxy server have been solved.
Alongside with the functional changes there have been a few design modifications in HiCrypt™ 2.0. For example the license information have been removed from the general information dialog to its own dialog. this dialog also provides information about the used features.
Version 1.2.4 (released: June 05th 2014)
Usage in a Terminal Server environment
The start of HiCrypt™ at logon for unauthorized users will now be prevent automatically.
Version 1.2.3 (released: January 27th 2014)
Compatibility with Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 Server R2
HiCrypt™ ist now compatibal with Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 Server R2.
A shell extension has been added to display overlay icons for encrypted network drives.
A licensing issue has been fixed. Some valid licenses has been recognized as invalid licenses.
A problem using NetApp ONTAP has been fixed.
Version 1.2.2 (released: September 30th 2013)
An issue with file name conventions has been fixed.
Version 1.2.1 (released: September 6th 2013)
Tiny issues when resolving names have been fixed.
Automatic activation after installation
The Product Key can now be provided as a commandline argument when starting the setup process. This Product Key will be used for an automatic online activation after the required restart at the end of the setup process. Thus dialogs for licensing issues can be hidden.
Version 1.2.0 (released: September 3rd 2013)
HiCrypt™ can now be activated online via Proxy. For a manual configuration of a HTTP Proxy for the online activation of HiCrypt™ please refer to this FAQ article.
Saved credentials for logging on to encrypted network drives can now be secured using a PIN.
Support of ShareCrypt-encrypted network drives
Network drives encrypted with ShareCrypt (up to version 3.x) can now be converted to HiCrypt™ network drives. There is no need to decrypt the encrypted data with ShareCrypt and encrypt it with HiCrypt™. The conversion will be done in a few seconds.
Version 1.1.1 (released: March 14th 2013)
The language of the HiCrypt™ user interface can be individually set up for the user. If no language has been selected yet the user language of the operating system will be used. The currently used language will be displayed in the main menu of the application. After manual selection of the user interface language it will be used as the default language in the future.
Version 1.1.0 (released: March 11th 2013)
HiCrypt™ is now multilingual. Currently the languages german and english are available. The application uses the user language of the operating system as default language selection. If this language is german all user interface dialogues are displayed in german. If it is not german than english will be used.
Compatibility with Windows 8 and Windows 2012 Server
HiCrypt™ ist now compatibal with Windows 8 and Windows 2012 Server.
The starting procedure of HiCrypt™ has been modified. Thus HiCrypt™ starts faster and more reliable. The effect showing HiCrypt™ as minimized windows after startup is additionally removed.
HiCrypt™ is basically downwards compatible. This has almost been implemented in previous versions. Now there have been modifications to better realize previous and newer versions and to make these version differences more clearly in the user interface. That means in these cases the user experience has been dramatically improved to prevent missleading appearences in the user interface.
The new Online Information System for HiCrypt™ has been launched concurrently. The application will show links within the user interface where additional information are available online. An internet browser is required for this feature as well as an established internet connection because the information of the Online Information System are hosted by the HiCrypt™ homepage. Additionally further links has been added to the application’s Support menu to guide the user to Frequently Asked Questions and to an online order form to purchase HiCrypt™.
- User credentials for an encrypted network drive will now be requested using a dialog with enhanced security to prevent the user from accessing the secured data in the meantime. These security options are individually configurable as described at the FAQ article How to configure the dialog security settings?.
- If several network drives are connected HiCrypt™ scans all of them before one’s encryption if there is any relationship between the network drive which will be encrypted and any other connected network drive because the result may be problematically constellations. For example if two network drives are connected to the same share you could possibly access the encrypted data using the other network drive. Than no decryption would work and the user’s work flow is broken. To prevent the user from situations like this and display a warning message HiCrypt™ performs this relationship scan. The scanning functions have been enhanced and improved in this release.
- If HiCrypt™ detects a network drive that has to be repaired or updated it will now be automatically locked until the required HiCrypt™ action has been done. This prevents an accidentally access to the secured data.
- Disconnecting a network drive can now be hidden by using computer policies or even HiCrypt™ Registry settings. Therefor we published the FAQ article How can I prevent users from disconnecting an encrypted network drive with HiCrypt™? which will describe how to hide this menu item.
- If the option for exporting the recovery key while encrypting a network drive is activated this key will now automatically be stored. Up to now the possibility of manually storing the exported key may have been slipped.
- The encryption algorithms have been improved. Additionally the required steps while encrypting a network drive has been reduced to the minimum of user interaction. Thus a network drive can be encrypted even faster.
Version 1.0.8 (released: September 13th 2012)
- The option to save credentials while logging on to an encrypted network drive can be hidden by a Windows Registry setting.
- The menu item for disconnecting a network drive can be hidden by a Windows Registry setting.
The software can be branded with pictures on the status bar and on the About box by using Windows Registry settings. For more information for branding and the exact Registry values please refer to the sales department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Version 1.0.7 (released: June 29th 2012)
Usage in a Terminal Server environment
The Windows Registry value release in version 1.0.5 has been renamed for better understanding of its reason. The former name can still be used as described in the FAQ article How to prevent HiCrypt™ to be started by users not being allowed to use the software?.
The licencing wizard now provides the option to reactivate a license which is expired or will expire. For this it is required that the licence has been extended by the manufacturer.
Version 1.0.6 (released: June 22nd 2012)
This version only contains lower internal modifications as well as a few improvements of the application’s performance and design.
Version 1.0.5 (released: June 15th 2012)
Next to a few internal modifications and continuous improvements of the application’s performance and design the following modifications have been made.
Usage in a Terminal Server environment
The HiCrypt™ behaviour can be defined for the case if a not allowed user starts the application. this can be done with a Windows Registry setting. Additional information can be found in the Frequently Asked Question How to prevent HiCrypt™ to be started by users not being allowed to use the software?.
Addition: With the released version 1.0.7 the used Registry value has been renamed. The FAQ article mentioned above just relates to the renamed value. Customers knowing the former name of this value may be able to still use it. But it will not be mentioned here.
Using Office documents
Using Office documents with encrypted network drives has been improved. There was a problem with the temporarily created files while opening an Office document.
Version 1.0.4 (not released)
Next to internal modifications with no functional effects there were a few design modifications to the application. These improve the user experience but will only be mentioned in details.
Version 1.0.3 (released: May 16th 2012)
This release only contains a few improvements of the application’s performance. No functional changes have been made.
Version 1.0.2 (released: April 18th 2012)
A few corrections have been made which would have been mentioned rarely. Additionally the performance of the application could be improved.
Version 1.0.1 (released: April 2nd 2012)
This is the first release of HiCrypt™.